Re: chordmode bass and relative

From: Carl D . Sorensen
Subject: Re: chordmode bass and relative
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 04:24:49 +0000 (UTC)

Mark <myforums <at> aanet.com.au> writes:

> Hi All
> Having a small problem with chordmode, displaying chords within the staff.
> I wish to display some chords on a bass clef.
> Decided that chordmode in this instance was the best way. (im tidying up
> from a simple "chords above lyrics" doc. So I dont know the notes. Of
> course I could work them out)
>
> The snip below shows a note progression of dedga which all sit nicely on
> the bass clef staff as expected. (my test phrase)
> However when I do the same thing  using chordmode the chords are way off
> the top of the staff. As if the relative and clef commands are ignored.
> I tried inserting clef and relative commands within the chordmode
> command but recieved errors.

Clef just tells the type of clef to print and identifies what the pitches of the
staff lines are; it has no effect on the pitches of the following notes.

IIRC, chordmode ignores \relative, and works on absolute pitches.  I think that
should turn into a known issue in the manual, which I'm currently working on.

Carl

BTW, in your code below, the \chordmode section is outside the \relative
section, but it works just the same if you put it inside the section:

\new Staff {
  \clef bass
  \key d \major
  \relative c {