Re: Chord Charts - rhythm and chords

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Chord Charts - rhythm and chords
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 23:17:36 +0000 (UTC)

cpgray <cpgray <at> library.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Warning: LilyPond Newbie
>
> I'm trying out LilyPond to see if there is a way to do chord charts in the
> fashion illustrated in the wikipedia article on "Chord Charts".  The image
> there illustrates what I'm looking for:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chord_chart.jpg

Here is an example.  You were close, but needed to put the
Pitch_squash_engraver
in a Voice context, rather than a Staff context.

As you can see, in this example the pitch of the note has no effect on the
height of the slash head, and transposition affects the chords, but not the
note location.

Currently, there is not a good facility for using chord diagrams with
transposition, but I hope to get one  implemented this summer, if I can get
over the issues involved with changing computer systems.

I haven't tried any of the bowing indications.  However, staccato, ties, slurs,
etc should all work in this notation.

Carl

%%% Begin cut and paste code

mychords = \chordmode {