bracketed silence

From: luis jure
Subject: bracketed silence
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 20:19:28 -0300

hello list,

i'd need to place brackets around a rest in the score. something like
\parenthesize but square brackets [ ].

i tried using a \markup, but no matter what i try, i found no way to
place the brackets in the staff around the rest. i tried every tweak i
could find in the manual, but it seems to me that lilypond is always
smarter and refuses to place the markup _in_ the staff.

could anyone help me with this? is it at all possible?

best,

lj