Size Matters

From: Dennis O'Toole
Subject: Size Matters
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 05:46:41 -0700 (PDT)

I have a large set of solo arrangements that use
#(set-global-staff-size XX)
where XX varies somewhat from arrangement to
arrangement.  This is set following a paper block
and before the score block in each separate file.

I would now like to combine these into a book
by merging the files and using a book block around
the scores, but I need to maintain the varying
staff size.  I tried using:
 \layout {#(layout-set-staff-size XX )}
within each score, but I got very different
results.  Apparently the units implied in these
two statements is different, the first being
points and the second being mm.  Do I understand
this correctly?

*But* when I convert to what should be the same
size, I still get a different result.  Some sizes are right
but others are not.  It appears that the
#layout-set-staff-size does not set sizes for the same
classes of things as set-global-staff-size.  set-global-staff-size
scales everything, while #layout-set-staff-size does
not scale the staff itself (only the notes) and text seems
inconsistent between titles and markup.  There may
be other differences I haven't identified.

How can I maintain the varying staff sizes that
I need across a book of scores?  Is there something
I can set instead of #layout-set-staff-size, or in
addition to it?  Some other approach entirely?

Thanks for any help,
-Dennis-