Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 10:25:22 +0100

Mark Knoop  wrote Monday, July 14, 2008 9:56 AM

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 02:21 +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
Mats Bengtsson <mats.bengtsson <at> ee.kth.se> writes:
OK, I'll bite.

I propose some new predefined functions:

\pointAndClickOn

pointAndClickOn = #(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #t)

and

\pointAndClickOff

pointAndClickOff = #(ly:set-option 'point-and-click #f)

These commands seem to imply that p&c can be turned on and off
throughout the input stream (i.e. that isolated sections within a work
would have p&c enabled). Is this the case, and is it desired?
The commands also don't acknowledge that p&c is on by default -- one
would have to put \pointAndClickOff first, which is counterintuitive. I
doubt that many people work like this anyway; they either want to use
it, or don't.

Two good points.  So why do we need \pointAndClickOn?
It is on by default, and can't be turned on once it
is turned off, so not then.  If it is turned off in
the command line you'd hardly want to turn it on again
in the code, so not then either.

So, why not have just a single command?

\noPointAndClick

to override the default?  That would be my preference.

Personally, I always compile with p&c, except for final output, for
which the command-line method is the simplest method to temporarily
disable it.

This would be fine, but some users are not familiar with the command line. Those that use the command
line can simply ignore the new command if they don't
want to use it.

Trevor