Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:19:38 +0200

Well, the fun is that it seems that Scheme creators like predefined commands as well. Think of the commands
cadr, caddr, cadddr, which are essentially:
(car (list-tail mylist 2)) (car (list-tail mylist 3))  (car (list-tail mylist 4))
In SRFI-1, the first extension of the Scheme language even includes the commands:
(first mylist) which equals (car mylist).
(second mylist) which equals (cadr mylist), ie. (car (list-tail mylist 2))
(tenth mylist) which would equal (cadddddddddr mylist) if one had had the idea to define such a command, ie. (car (list-tail mylist 10))

Am I insane that I find this complete nonsense?
Learning and using two commands, car and list-tail versus more than a dozen commands for the same purpose.

Bert

James E. Bailey wrote:
personally, I like having predefined commands. I don't know how to say \key fis \major in scheme, and I don't want to know. Leaving that kind of predefined command to the editor forces everyone to use an (or the) editor that can send that kind of information. The predefined commands are a really great thing for end users.