Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: nopc -- Proposed Predefines
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:20:25 +0200

Currently JEdit with LilyPondTool is the only editor for LilyPond that provides syntax checking and autocompletion of tweaks. I consider those such crucial features I can't image how other people can work without it. So it may worth learning to use another. That will be the last, I'm sure. Though I'm quite biased :-)

Does it have highlighters for texinfo, C++, html, css,
javascript, python, php, scheme too?  All of which I
use.
Yes, it has a quite impressive list of highlighters, also syntax checking for php and html via plugins (http://jedit.org/index.php?page=features). I must note however, that jedit's highlighter configuration is regular-expression based, so it doesn't have such power that vim or emacs, where you can write code to highlight. (Actually you could write a plugin that colors according to more complex rules, as I do in LilyPondTool to make different background color for Scheme parts.)

I understand how hard it is to use more than one editors, not to mention setting up compiler commands. I am biased because jEdit was my first power editor, and I gradually got engaged by its power when creating LilyPondTool.

Bert