ties across voices -- DIFFICULT!!!

From: Eric Flesher
Subject: ties across voices -- DIFFICULT!!!
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:29:16 +0000 (UTC)

I am having an extremely difficult time finding an acceptable coding solution
for a fairly straightforward (though relatively complex) notational problem:

I have several measures of piano music (code appended below) in which an initial
chord is struck, with voices released at different times. This _visually_
requires no more than 2 voices to be present during any given beat. Most of my
coding attempts, however, require 3 or more voices, often using tweaks to hide
pitches and shifting note columns to rectify the default displacement of
subsidiary voices. I have tried the documented moving of the Tie_engraver to the
staff (vs. voice) level, but end up with simultaneous tie events that end up
junking a required tie.

Does anyone have any practical advice for solving this problems? The necessity
of creating invisible noteheads in 3 or more parts seems cumbersome and carries
with it a whole host of horizontal voice-offset (shift) problems. I have also
tried manipulating the control points on individual ties (documented elsewhere
on this forum) but cannot find any reference as to how this might be done with
tie columns.

Incidentally, the _simplest_ solution would appear to me to be somehow engraving
ties as individual graphic events, i.e. neither attached to, nor dependent upon
noteheads in any particular voice. (Is this possible?)

I will try to post another message with the code attached, but so far the server
fails to accept such, claiming I'm "top-posting".

Many thanks,
EF