Re: \tag can't follow \lyricsto

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: \tag can't follow \lyricsto
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:54:05 +0200

Le 15 juil. 08 à 21:02, Trevor Daniels a écrit :

Roman Stawski wrote
<<
\new Staff { \new Voice = "dirge" { c''1 } }
\lyricsto "dirge" \new Lyrics { Whoops }
\tag #'harmony \new Staff { a'1 }

OK, I see what you are trying to do.  The error is that
the order of the commands in the lyrics line is wrong,

Where does this rule come from?

and the \new Lyrics command should be followed by { .. }
just like \new Staff is.

Why should \new SomeThing be followed by { .. } ?

I don't really understand what the error is (and it is not
obvious to me that it lies in the input rather than in the
parser), but there are several ways to work around it, like
changing the order (\new Lyrics before lyricsto) as Trevor
said, or adding an explicit \lyricmode.

<<
  \new Staff { \new Voice = "dirge" { c''1 } }
  \lyricsto "dirge" \new Lyrics \lyricmode { Whoops }
  \tag #'harmony \new Staff { a'1 }

<<
\new Staff { \new Voice = "dirge" { c''1 } }
\new Lyrics { \lyricsto "dirge" { Whoops } }
\tag #'harmony \new Staff {a'1}

nicolas