Re: Still confused about context vs. new

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: Still confused about context vs. new
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:49:20 +0200

Am 17.07.2008 um 22:35 schrieb Patrick Horgan:

I see many examples with \context, or \new used in the same place. I've read LM 3.1.1 for example which tells me that if I don't create explicitly a \new Staff or \new Voice, they will be created automatically, and goes on to refer to that as the implicit creation of contexts. I often see examples that refer to contexts, via something like \context ChoirStaff, or \context Staff, that have not been explicitly created. Can I assume that they are implicitly created? Something like this recent example off the list:

See this thread.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-06/msg00007.html
It took me a long time to understand it as well.