Re: Still confused about context vs. new

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: Still confused about context vs. new
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 19:33:58 +0100

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 08:50:51AM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:
> In the meantime, the distinction is explained in NR 5.1.2 Creating
> contexts, although this section has not yet been reviewed in GDP so maybe
> it could be improved.  Let me know to what extent it helps you.  In any
> case I'll bear your comments in mind when I get to that section.

I've just read it, and I'm still not quite clear. It looks like the only
difference between \new and \context is that \new ensures that you get a
fresh context by ignoring the identifier you give if necessary, whereas
\context deals with name collisions by smushing the new context into the
existing one in some way I don't understand.

This sort of makes the DrumVoice explicit instantiation make sense: if
\\ acts like \context rather than \new, then it is smushing its operands
into the \new DrumVoice="n" { \skips } thing above.

If this is way off the mark I guess the section in question needs some
serious loving.

--
"I tried snorting coke once, but the bubbles went right up my nose and I
knocked the glass over."   -- ‘Sordid Confessions of a Teenage Innocent’