Re: 'cyclic chain in pure-Y-offset callbacks' warning message

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: 'cyclic chain in pure-Y-offset callbacks' warning message
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:04:24 +0200

2008/7/21 Joe Neeman <address@hidden>:

>> Is it possible, by any chance, to avoid this message?
>
> If you add
> \override RehearsalMark #'Y-offset = #0
> \override MetronomeMark #'Y-offset = #0
> then it kills the programming errors but it also messes up the
> formatting for some reason I don't understand.

Thanks Joe; I guess I'll have to bear with the messages then.

I'm CCing your answer to the list, in case anyone needs it in the
archives some day :-)

> The reason this is
> necessary is that the default Y-offset callback for RehearsalMark and
> MetronomeMark looks at the position of all of the StaffSymbols. If the
> RehearsalMark lives in a particular VerticalAxisGroup (instead of being
> at the top level) then the position of the StaffSymbol relative to this
> VerticalAxisGroup depends on the vertical layout of staves, which
> depends on the Y-offset of the RehearsalMark within its parent
> VerticalAxisGroup, which depends (again) on the position of the
> StaffSymbol relative to the RehearsalMark's parent VerticalAxisGroup.

So, IIUC, a way to get rid of such limitations would be to implement a
concept of nested (childs/parent) VerticalAxisGroups, which is
currently not (meant to be) supported?

Cheers,
Valentin