(OT) MEAWS user study

From: Graham Percival
Subject: (OT) MEAWS user study
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:22:48 -0700

Hey guys,

I'm nearing the end of my Masters degree.  As many of you know,
I've been working on Computer-Assisted Musical Instrument Tutoring
programs.  In particular, I've create a program (MEAWS - Musician
Evaluation and AWdition for Strings) that grades simple
exercises.  It has two types of exercises:

Rhythms: you clap a rhythm and it gives you a grade based on how
accurately you clapped.

Intonation: you play some notes and it gives you a grade based on
how accurate your pitch was.  These exercises are aimed at violin
students.  Not useful for pianists, sorry guys.  :)

If you'd like to check it out, it's available at:

http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/meaws/

MEAWS is available for Linux and MacOS X, and licensed under the
GPL, so it's free to download and play around with.  A Windows
version was planned, but was dropped due to my lack of experience
with that operating system.  In theory it shouldn't be hard to
compile it (I used cross-platform libraries), but I just don't
know how this stuff works on Windows.

I'm also gathering feedback via a user study (on the webpage
above); you have any comments about MEAWS, please fill out the
form instead of sending to me directly.

Cheers,
- Graham