Re: (OT) MEAWS user study

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: (OT) MEAWS user study
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:37:00 -0700

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:43:23 -0300
"Han-Wen Nienhuys" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Graham Percival <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > Intonation: you play some notes and it gives you a grade based on
> > how accurate your pitch was.  These exercises are aimed at violin
> > students.  Not useful for pianists, sorry guys.  :)
>
> That's very interesting; how do you determine what the right pitch is?
>  Do you take modality and leading tones into account?

There's two modes: equal temperament, and just intonation.  Each
exercise starts with the tonic of the key.

The intonation exercises are very simple, though -- 8 notes (well,
4 notes repeated), and only basic material.  First position, major
and minor, and shifting from first to third position.  Basically,
they're computer-gradede Sevcik exercises.

The details are in my thesis, available from the same webpage
under "download".

Cheers,
- Graham