Re: Problem with German Chord Names of moll chords

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Problem with German Chord Names of moll chords
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:09:09 +0200

The note-name->german-markup macro creates lowercase note names from a pitch. This is used as the chordNoteNamer function. The chordNoteNamer is the following:
When the chord name contains additional pitches other than the root
(e.g., an added bass note), this function is used to print the
additional pitch.  By default the pitch is printed using
@code{chordRootNamer}. The @code{chordNoteNamer} property can be set
to a specialized function to change this behavior.  For example, the
bass note can be printed in lower case.

For a simple case perhaps you could set
chordRootName = #note-name->german-markup
to make the root note lowercase. But that would render lowercase all the chords, including major ones.

Bert

ps It's better to keep the discussion on lilypond-user, as other may have smarter thought than I do

Philip Chinery wrote:
The log says "note-name->german-markup: Changed (now producing lowercase notenames)" I thought that this could not be misunderstood - or are we referencing different parts?

also, the guy in [2] said, that it had worked (only it then wrote Fis instead of F#)

I am a bit confused now...

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) schrieb:
You misunderstood the changelog.
It never worked.

Philip Chinery wrote:
That would be a pity, as I have read of people who have achieved this and seen it in the cahngelog (see my links in the original post).

Does anyone know if this feature has been removed? Or does it just not work anymore and noone noticed?

regards,
Philip

Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) schrieb:
Look at chord-name.scm. There is a macro defined, called "chord-name->german-markup ". Unfortunately it doesn't take major/minor into account. So I think you would have to write something like a completely new formatter, like the ignatzek.

Bert

Philip Chinery wrote:
Hello,

I am sorry to push this message again, but maybe this is a bug or probably I am doing something wrong. Hopefully someone can give me a hint in the right direction :)

regards,
Philip

Philip Chinery schrieb:
Hello,

I am trying to display the moll chords lower case, as it is quite common this way in germany. I have read that is available for a long time now in [1]. I also have found it mentioned in the help files and used in [2]. But I
am not very successful in using it.

Below you find an example of what I am doing.

I someone has an idea on this, I would be really happy :)

Regards,
Philip

[1] <http://osdir.com/ml/gnu.lilypond.announce/2003-04/msg00001.html> [2] <http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg28601.html>

===========================

\version "2.11.43"
\include "Deutsch.ly"

\score{
    <<

    \new ChordNames{
        \set chordRootNamer = #(chord-name->german-markup #t)
        \set chordNoteNamer = #note-name->german-markup
        \set chordChanges = ##t
                 \chordmode {\germanChords h1:m h1:m d1:m }
    }

    \new Voice = "one" {
        \key d \major  \time 4/4
        \relative c' {h1 h1 d1}     }

    \layout{          indent = 0.0\cm
        \context {    \Score
            \remove "Bar_number_engraver"
        }
        \context{ \Staff
            \override VerticalAxisGroup #'Y-extent = #'(-3 . 2)
            \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = ##f