Re: not-so-ancient flags

From: luis jure
Subject: Re: not-so-ancient flags
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:59:51 -0300

glad to see this important thread revived.

on 2008-07-24 at 08:14 madhg wrote:

>1) personally I like the flags in the first row of my June 17 message
>in this thread.  As you say it's a matter of taste.

i'd like to promote the inclusion of TWO new flags, something like
straight-ancient and straight-modern. i've finally found satisfactory
values for angle, thickness and length, following the modern practice
(stockhausen, boulez, berio, etc). personal taste aside, the needs for
18th century music are obviously very different. i think both needs
should be contemplated.

presently i'm recompiling lilypond each time with my modified version
of the patch submitted by werner lemberg. these are the approximate
values i found for the relevant part:

+straight_flag_angle = -22;
+straight_upflag_length# = .8 black_notehead_width# + stemthickness# /
2;
+straight_downflag_length# = .9 black_notehead_width# + stemthickness# / 2;
+straight_flag_thickness# = 0.52 staff_space#;

the angle could be decreased even a bit more, and the length increased
a tiny bit, but the difference wouldn't be essential.

as to points 2 and 3 raised by reinhold kainhofer, yes, those are
aspects yet to be solved. i'm afraid i'm not a programmer, and i can't
contribute.

best,

lj