Re: I know you've heard this before

From: Carol Viera
Subject: Re: I know you've heard this before
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:16:21 -0400

thanks for the help, everyone.  i'll play with the suggestions given.

Carol

On Jul 26, 2008, at 9:00 PM, Jonathan Kulp wrote:

When I'm on a Mac I use the Smultron editor, which has pretty nice syntax highlighting and has a very nice interface. It's free also. I got JEdit to work but I think it looks terrible both on Linux and Mac. The fonts look all messed up probably because of the Java environment.

Anyway I wrote a script for use on my Linux boxes and have a modified version for Macs. It runs lilypond on a given file and opens the pdf in Preview (easy enough to change it to Acrobat Reader if you like). I'll attach the script in case anyone would like to have it. Create a /bin directory in your home directory and make sure it's included in your shell path. Once it's there and the file is executable, you simply type "lily foobar.ly" and it runs lilypond on foobar.ly then opens foobar.pdf in Preview. If you comment out the Preview line and uncomment the Acrobat Reader line then you can use Acrobat Reader for the previewing.

Jon

James E. Bailey wrote:
True, but textedit doesn't have syntax hilighting or bracket matching. Speaking of which, I've been meaning to send my syntax hilighting for lilypond to this list for ages, but haven't done so. It isn't great, nor is perfect, but it hilights and helps me spotting errors. And, the only time I've ever attempted anything with regex was to do this, so I'm sure there are probably better ways of expressing what's here (if anyone sees a better way, let me know). For a pretty basic text editor, it has tons of features that I learn more about as I use it.
You can use textedit to edit your lilypond files on OSX.

Carl