Re: GDP: first public draft, NR 1.4 Repeats

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: first public draft, NR 1.4 Repeats
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:03:10 -0700

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:00:06 +0200
"Francisco Vila" <address@hidden> wrote:

> - I see a double backslash in the PDF (not in HTML) inside the warning
> at the beginning of Manual Repeats, texinfo code is @code{\\repeat},
> what can be done, if any?

Dunno.  That's been listed in the GDP technical-todo.txt list
since last Oct.  It's Neil's problem now, not mine.  :)

> - As for standard policy of Scheme code writing, I don't know if, but
> here are two mixed styles, #'((volta #f) etc, (w/o spaces) and #'( (
> volta #f ) (with spaces). I prefer not to write spaces rounding
> parentheses in Scheme code.

Hmm.  I prefer having no spaces if there's a single item, but if
there's multiple (foo) inside a #'( ... ) list, I find them easier
to read without spaces.

I don't have any firm feelings about this, though.

> - "musicexpr" is long but it needs an explanation: "where musicexpr is
> a music expression." If you change this to e.g. "music_expression" or
> something, this is not much longer but it doesn't need any further
> explanation. Anyway, music expressions are already documented
> elsewhere and the examples fully clarify that syntax.

In the back of my mind, I've been planning on standardizing with
"musicexpr" throughout the manual.  I don't know how far this got.

Hmm... Neil, do you feel like grepping for "musixexpr" and related
strings to see if there's any agreement about this?

> - This is very personal: the syntax of \alternate is clear from the
> examples, but I always have to explain why one has to write the extra
> pair of braces. I suppose that the number of alternatives is unknown,
> that's why they are required. Forgive me if you think this is not the
> best place to explain it, or if this has not to be detailed in the
> docs at all.

That's a great point!  We should include a sentence about this the
first time it comes up.

Cheers,
- Graham