Re: broken octaves

From: Stefan Thomas
Subject: Re: broken octaves
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:22:50 +0200

Dear Jay,
I tried something with:
 quintrauf = #(define-music-function (parser location x) (ly:music?)
     #{
         $x \transpose c g { $x }
     #})

     \new Staff { \quintrauf c' \quintrauf d' \quintrauf e' \quintrauf f' }
With copy and paste You can be very fast with the "\quintrauf"-command, but, it is not much faster then just typing the notes.
I desire a function, where You can type just  once "\quintrauf", and all the following notes will be changed. I think it must be possible.

2008/7/29 Jay Anderson <address@hidden>
On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Stefan Thomas
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Jay,
> You wrote : "What should the output be? {c4 g' b, f' c g'} or {c4 g' b, fis'
> c g'}".
> In my case, I'm much more interested in the second case "{c4 g' b, fis' c
> g'}". Because I'm writing mostly atonal music, I don't have to fear
> voice-leading teachers (and I think broken fifths have never been
> forbidden)!

That would be doable since every interval will always be a perfect
fifth. Some care would need to be taken to make sure the octaves are
right. My first thought for the broken octave function was to make it
generate something like this:

music = \relative c' {c8 s b s e s d}
transposed = \transpose c g \music

\score
{
 \new Staff \relative c'
 {
   \new Voice
   <<
     {\music s8}
     {s8 \transposed}

 }
 \layout {}
 \midi {}
}

This might be a better general approach.

-----Jay