header and page numbers

From: David Bobroff
Subject: header and page numbers
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 19:18:06 +0000

I posted a question about putting the title rather than the instrument as a running header as well as asking about placing page numbers bottom center. I found a piece of LilyPond code in the docs that would place the page numbers at the bottom center:

From 4.1.2 Page formatting

\paper {
  print-page-number = ##t
  print-first-page-number = ##t
  oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { " " }
  evenHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { " " }
  oddFooterMarkup = \markup { \fill-line {
     \bold \fontsize #3 \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first
     \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string } }
  evenFooterMarkup = \markup { \fill-line {
     \bold \fontsize #3 \on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first
     \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string } }
}

This certainly puts page numbers bottom center but then the copyright notice disappears. What do I need to do to the above code to get rid of the page number on page 1 (print-first-page-number = ##f will do that but the copyright notice is also not displayed) and print the copyright notice?

As for getting the title instead of the instrument as a running header after page one I tried editing titling-init.ly to change:

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup
\fill-line {
  %% force the header to take some space, otherwise the
  %% page layout becomes a complete mess.
  " "
  \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'header:instrument
\on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
}

evenHeaderMarkup = \markup
\fill-line {
\on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
  \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'header:instrument
  " "
}

...by changing #'header:instrument to #'header:title

It didn't work.  The odd/even HeaderMarkup simply disappeared.

Help?

David