headers and spacing

From: David Bobroff
Subject: headers and spacing
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:05:34 +0000

I posted a query about changing running headers. I received a useful response but then noticed that I needed to alter it a bit. I put this in my \paper{} block to have the title top centered on pages after one and also to retain the default page number placement of LilyPond. All is well except that when I use this the spacing gets fouled a bit. I saw this in titling-init.ly:

  %% force the header to take some space, otherwise the
  %% page layout becomes a complete mess.

So my current thinking is that I've somehow not managed to do this. Is there some adjustment that needs to be made in the following?

\paper {
        myTitle = "Title"
        myInstrument = ""
        oddHeaderMarkup = \markup
        \fill-line {
                " "
                \on-the-fly #not-first-page {\column {\myTitle \tiny
\myInstrument}}
\on-the-fly #print-page-number-check-first \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
        }
        evenHeaderMarkup = \markup
        \fill-line {