Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?

From: Dominic Neumann
Subject: Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:25:44 +0200

2008/7/30 Joseph Haig <address@hidden>:
> 2008/7/29 Dominic Neumann <address@hidden>:
>> Okay, then it breaks already after the fourth note ... this doesn´t help
>> much.
>> Now I added some more \noBreak commands after other notes and now it
>> fits into one line.
>> That´s not what I would call a "clean solution" ... :-/
>>

> I haven't played with chant in lilypond for a while, but I think I
> remember that it still uses the default time signature (4/4) and note
> length (crochet or quarter-note) even though these don't mean anything
> in this notation.  What you are seeing is the line being broken at the
> (unprinted) bar lines, which occur every 4 crochet notes.  (Note that
> the podatus on 'un-' of 'unheil' is two notes.)

> An even more
> unfortunate side effect of this is that if you have long melimata the
> spacing gets messed up, because lilypond allocates a certain amount of
> space for each neume even though they are clustered together.  You can
> see this in your example, where the notes above 'unheil' have too much
> space between them.

That´s really ugly and I hope to find a way to solve it. Without that
problem the chant results are considerable - maybe because I don´t
have difficult constructs to typeset. Unaesthetic source code is
annoying, but unaesthetic output is unacceptable ...

> I found that there was no real 'clean solution'.  I tended to have a
> lot of \bar "" commands after various notes more or less around the
> place where I expected line breaks to occur.  Unfortunately, I don't
> think chant is very high on the list of priorities with the developers
> and, to be fair, there probably isn't really a compelling reason why
> it should be.  I did have a look at it once but I don't know enough
> about scheme, python or chant notation to be able to get very far.

You´re right with the default time signature working inside. I tried
to fight it with the same weapons: I´ve set \time 1/4 at the beginning
and so I don´t have to type many times \bar "" and this really works
well!

Dominic