Re: woodwind harmonics (GDP)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: woodwind harmonics (GDP)
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:59:24 +0200

The \flageolet articulation is intended for this purpose. At least in
string music, the resulting circle has the size and layout that I
recognize from string music. I haven't seen any woodwind parts with
harmonics but would be surprised if the circle really was that small
that your example gives. It should be visible at one meter distance,
right? If you want the same symbol as \harmonic but with smaller size,
you can rather use
c^\markup{\small \musicglyph #"scripts.flageolet" }

/Mats

Andrew Hawryluk wrote:
> I'm trying to show how one could specify a harmonic for a woodwind
> instrument (NR 2.6.1.1).
> This looks correct when printed, but it's a bit ugly. Any suggestions?
>
> Note that usually the lower (fingered) pitch is not written, but the
> small circle is always needed.
>
> {
>   <c'\harmonic c''>2^\markup \fontsize #-8 " ○"
>   <c'\harmonic g''>2^\markup \fontsize #-8 " ○"
>   <c'\harmonic c'''>1^\markup \fontsize #-8 "  ○"
> }
>
> I wondered if the \flageolet articulation was intended for this
> purpose, but it much larger than the marks I have seen in print.
>
> Andrew

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering