Re: Lilypond Style Guide

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond Style Guide
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:03:30 +0200

Jordan Eldredge wrote:
I am currently working on wikilily.org and realized that one thing
that could be very helpful when collaborating on Lilypond code, would
be a style guide. My question for all of you is: has any other project
drafted a style guide for Lilypond code?

The main things I imagine it wold cover would be:

How many spaces should an indent be?
When should indentation be used?
Where should line breaks be used?
Where should spaces be used?
All these are things that a good text editor with LilyPond support, could handle more or less automatically. For example, the LilyPond mode in Emacs handles the indentation automatically. I would imagine that lilypondtool does the same. Such editor support provides a de facto style guide, which often is much more useful than a style guide in textual form. Since it's a known fact that different users have different favorite editors and we can never expect to get an agreement on a single editor that everybody will use, a good first step would be to make sure that the existing LilyPond modes for different text editors follow the same style guide.
Another thing it might include would be:

A general guide for structuring the code.
I doubt that you can find rules that both will make sense to an experienced programmer and that a musician without any programming experience will be able to understand and adopt, but feel free to make an attempt.

   /Mats