Re: lyrics following split voices

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: lyrics following split voices
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 14:30:12 +0100

Mats, you wrote, Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:26 PM

Trevor Daniels wrote:
So, for the example in question, the NR should certainly state categorically what the voice names are in the various constructs, and examples showing the differences would be fine. But I don't think there is any need to put lengthy explanations in the NR - it's a reference document - they really need to go in the LM.

So maybe we need an explanation of using voice naming in this way somewhere in the LM. Any suggestions? And the NR should certainly list all the context names that are assigned by default somewhere. Perhaps I'll work that into the section on Contexts. What do you think?
Note that the use of the trick
only works if you have a single Staff (or at most one Staff with polyphony), since otherwise you would have several \new Voice = "1" in the same score, which doesn't work. Therefore, it's fairly esoteric and perhaps something that shouldn't be taught in the LM.

Wise words.  Maybe we should stick to describing the
situation regarding Voice names somewhere in the "Contexts explained" section, way down in NR 5.1.1, which I'll write as soon as I understand them properly (although that hasn't stopped me on some earlier occasions;) That way beginners will be better protected from wrong impressions.

  /Mats

Trevor