Re: Better Midi!

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: Better Midi!
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 07:37:59 +1000

>>>>> "Trevor" == Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> writes:

Trevor> Hi Peter

Trevor> Just tried your articulate.ly.  Looks really promising!  A
Trevor> couple of early comments.  It may be obvious, but \articulate
Trevor> should only be used in a \score block with just \midi {} - it
Trevor> mucks up the printed output if used with \layout { }.  And
Trevor> dynamics in the midi score block must be applied to all voices
Trevor> to be effective.

Peter> Yes, it does muck up the printed code.
Peter> I'm not sure about the dynamics issue.  There are lots of pieces I
Peter> have where the dynamics for each voice are independent --- so for
Peter> example, the voice is marked `sempre forte' while the piano part is
Peter> `decrescendo' then `pp' in Bizet's Toreador's song.

Oh, I know what you mean now.  It's a `feature' of Lilypond's midi
output: volume control is done with global control events that set the
master volume, instead of using velocity (at the start of each note)
and aftertouch (during each note).  Thus midi volume is global,
instead of per-voice.

Peter C