Re: Expert question on named contexts

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Expert question on named contexts
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 22:51:11 -0300

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> \relative c' <<
> \new Staff \new Voice = myvoice { c d e f }
> \new Staff \context Voice = myvoice { g f e d }

both contexts get the same name.  If you want to refer to either of
them, you need to name the staves too,

\relative c' <<
 \new Staff = "A" \new Voice = myvoice { c d e f }
 \new Staff = "B" \context Voice = myvoice { g f e d }

so you can do \context Staff = A \context Voice = myvoice { .. }

to send something the 1st voice.

> Apparently, LilyPond lets the latter requirement override the former one.
> However, what happens to the context names? Is the Voice context in the
> lower
> stave given some random unknown name or do both have the same name but are
> kept separate because of the context hierarchy. In the latter case, is it
> even possible
> to refer to the Voice context of the lower stave using the name "myvoice",
> under
> some circumstance?

Perhaps we should have a nice scheme hack that will print out the
context hierarchy at any point.