Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: Please forget LM MG NR IR SL AU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:30:43 +0200

Good point, but RTFM answers are generally not the most interesting
part of any maillist archive.
Hahah, RTFM is also an acronym, and not by coincidence. It expresses exactly what I hate in abbreviations. Poor beginner users who really doesn't know what they want to ask (because they have just a vague concept of the domain), gets a slap in their face.

I must note however that I strongly disagree with the approach "you must read the manual first". Honestly, when you buy an house-hold appliance you first read the manual? I doubt. For making the first cup of coffee you won't read the manual. Later, when you want to make different kinds of exotic coffees you will. Though this is a bit off-topic.
and such... as Graham said, it's all about getting used to it;
My point is that lilypond-user reading users won't get used to it. Many of them are newcomers and beginners. They don't usually follow the conversations on the list.

Perhaps it's because of my software developer experience, but I am strongly and seriously against abbreviations and acronyms in any case. Reading and interpreting abbreviated text needs much more overhead than what you gain during write time. Not to mention better text editors where you can define abbreviations thus eliminating write time overhead.

Bert