Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?

From: Kurt Kroon
Subject: Re: How to add double barlines to a gregorian chant?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 10:15:05 -0700

On 2008/07/29 8:04 AM, "Dominic Neumann" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,

Hello!  I don't know if anyone else has answered this -- I haven't been
getting digests for the past week or so -- so I figured I should toss my hat
into the discussion ... especially since I have some recent experience in
setting Gregorian chant.

> I´m new to gregorian typesetting but I´ve seen that there´s already
> support for it in LilyPond.
> Can you tell me how I can add a double bar at the end?

Replace \bar "||" with \finalis.  I would also use \divisioMinima instead of
\breathe ... but that's just me.

> And there is a wrong note at the end? How can I delete it?

It looks to me like LilyPond is trying to interpret \bar in terms of
gregorian-init.ly, and is failing.  (The diagnostic messages from the
console would be helpful to determine if that's really the case.)  Replacing
\bar "||" with \finalis should delete it.

> Is it at all a good idea to start typesetting gregorian chants with
> LilyPond or are there too many diffulcuties by now?

Yes, there are some difficulties, but you can see a small example of what
the current development version of LilyPond can do at the "Ancient Notation"
section of the GDP site:

http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/user/lilypond/Ancient-notation.
html

Like the rest of the documentation, you can click on the image to see the
LilyPond source that created it.  Some things to note: I did not include any
tweaks because I wanted to see how LilyPond handled unmodified input, so I
would be better informed while working on this section; the output is not
perfect by any means, but it looks much better than the output produced by
the current production version (last time I checked, anyway); there are some
odd collisions (especially the last phrase, which runs into the last finalis
(double bar).

I hope that will be enough to get you started.

> Thanks,

You're welcome,

Kurtis