Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:26:57 -0400

Trevor Daniels wrote:
> The action of \textLengthOn can be better understood as extending
> the length of the moment in time at which it occurs.  All notes
> which occur at a later musical moment will be displaced to the end
> of the text, whichever staff or voice they are in, in order to remain
> synchronous.

Thanks for the response. That makes sense (at least from a programmatic standpoint).

It seems to me that the documentation (which has been tremendously improved over the last year - thanks Graham et al) could be a bit clearer on this. Perhaps including a blurb like the following:

"Note that \textLengthOn does not necessarily increase the spacing of the note that the text is attached to. Rather, the shortest moment in time when the text occurs will get the added space. For instance, in 4/4 time if text is added to a whole-note while another staff contains quarter-notes, the space will be added between the first and second quarter-notes of the measure."

If that (or a variant of it) is at all useful, please feel free to use it in the docs.

-Chris