Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:49:18 -0700

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 00:18:18 +0200
"Valentin Villenave" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2008/8/13 Neil Puttock <address@hidden>:
>
> > As a solution, I present Mats's proposals for renaming:
>
> Proposal #1 is undoubtedly the one;
> however, considering it's already a big deal to rename some commands;
> making an *already existing* command mean something *else* than what
> it currently means (I'm referring to \center-align)? I'm afraid we'll
> never see so many complaints from our user base...

convert-ly would translate \old-command to \new-command.  Or at
least print a warning about "\old-command now means foo".  And
we'll dump a warning about this in NEWS.

- if users complain about stuff changing in devel, we don't care.
(and call them names and other anti-fuzzy stuff)

- if users update from 2.10.x to 2.12 without reading the NEWS and
  running convert-ly, we don't care.
(and call them names and other anti-fuzzy stuff)

Besides, these commands are already fairly advanced.

Cheers,
- Graham