Re: it's all up to you users

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: it's all up to you users
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:30:32 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:28 AM

We now have a good documentation team for lilypond, and a good
number of them are gradually moving into bugfixing and
programming.  The thing we lack -- one of the last "unhealthy"
portions of the lilypond project -- is an "email support" team.
We need more people answering these simple questions, so that
advanced programmers don't do it.

If we could get a dozen people signing up for such duties, it
would be great.  Assuming they're spread across the world and/or
check their emails at random times (ok, that's not realistic, but
bear with me), then simple questions would receive an answer
within two hours.  And since this "User Support Team" wouldn't be
overworked doing documentation, they'd be really polite and
friendly and fuzzy feelings would abound.

Frankly, the answer doesn't even need to be correct.  I mean, if
you /think/ you have the right answer, but aren't completely
certain... answer anyway!  In the worst case, you'll make a
mistake, and advanced user will send a correction in a few hours.
You'll learn from that.  And the questioner will still get a warm
and fuzzy feeling from seeing both your attempted answer and the
correction.  It'll emphasize that you're just another user who is
trying to help out.

OK, doing this might make your face red occasionally,
but believe me, *it is worth it*!  Many's the time I
thought I knew the answer and responded, only to be
gently corrected by Mats, but, boy!, is this the way to
learn?!  You don't forget those lessons!  The key thing
is to express some doubt in your response, if you're
not absolutely sure of your answer - but let's have
more answers flowing from more of you!
Cheers,
- Graham

Trevor