Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen

From: Chris Snyder
Subject: Re: \textLengthOn - choosing which note to lengthen
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:25:15 -0400

Carl Sorensen wrote:
> If you'd like to propose additions to the docs, we'd appreciate it if
> you'd tell us where the addition should go.
>
> Also, in a case like this, a simple example that shows the behavior
> being described can help understand possibly-confusing wording.
> If you could work up a simple example (one bar long) that
> demonstrates the point you're trying to make, I'll add it to the
> documentation.

Here ya go. This is for section 1.8.1.1. I'd recommend that it be placed between the current \textLengthOn example and the Predefined commands header.

-- begin documentation snippet --

Note that \textLengthOn does not necessarily increase the spacing of
the note that the text is attached to. Rather, the shortest moment in
time when the text occurs will get the added space (even if it is
in another voice).

\score {
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    \new Staff \relative c' {
      \clef treble
      c4 e g e
    }
    \new Staff \relative c {
      \clef bass
      \textLengthOn
      c1_\markup \column {
        "The space is inserted between the first"
        "and second beat, even though this text"
        "is attached to the whole-note."

-- end documentation snippet --

Thanks!

-Chris