Re: autobeams

From: Daniel Hulme
Subject: Re: autobeams
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:11:02 +0100

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 05:31:27PM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> If you care about the number of key strokes, why not add a short-hand,
> using a music
> function:
>
> \version "2.10.0"
> % Usage \split {upper music} { lower music }
> split = #(define-music-function (parser location upper lower )
> (ly:music? ly:music? )
>  #{ << { \voiceOne $upper } \new Voice { \voiceTwo $lower } >> \oneVoice
> #})

OOC, why doesn't << {...} \\ {...} >> do that anyway? Under what
circumstances would you want the upper part to be a different voice from
the one-voice part? And is it possible to override \\ to make it behave
like that if you wanted to change it for a whole piece all at once?
(Yes, I know you could use a music function instead and thus change it
everywhere by just changing the function definition.)

--
Sequential composition: it's just one thing after another.
http://surreal.istic.org/                      No one heard that but me.