Re: doc work

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:38 +0100

Graham Percival wrote Friday, August 15, 2008 9:12 AM

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:29:28 -0400
Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

What can I do to help the docs project? At one point, we were
talking about me doing some "large scale", "real world" examples ___
putting together a real tutorial on chord name changes, revamping
the examples on stylesheets, trying to develop comprehensive
transposing- part guidelines, etc. ___ and that's still fine by me, if
that's the best use of my skills and time.

Unfortunately, this is not the best time to start such a project.  I'm
leaving in 5 days, and I think it's best for the remaining doc team to
have a few weeks working by themselves -- finishing existing material,
sorting out who does what, getting more familiar with
texinfo/git/technical doc issues, etc.

I hate be discouraging, but I just can't see this going smoothly at the
moment.  I'd rather postpone it for a month -- or if necessary, 3 or 4
months (if you get busy again) until I think that the technical support
is there.

Could you review the docs, and put this idea on hold for a month or so
(ie after 2.12 and the immediate flurry of activity that will generate
dies down)?  Reviewing the docs may be more important than you realize;
large portions of the documentation were rewritten by people with
between 2 - 6 months of lilypond experience.  I would be surprised if
the current "finished" sections did not contain at least one inaccuracy
-- to say nothing of omissions.

Reviewing the docs for accuracy of content, rather than
formatting nits, would be very valuable.  I know that much
of my work was based on experimentation rather than
experience, so may contain errors or omissions.

One other possibility:  No one has yet looked at the
templates at the end of the Learning Manual.  The work
in 2.11 may have made some features of these obsolete
or provided better ways to approach these various score
layouts.  Your experience would be invaluable in
reviewing these.

Trevor

Please see the GDP status on
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/
and carefully review any of the "finished" or "draft" sections.

Cheers,
- Graham