Re: doc work

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:22:39 -0400

Hi again,

Am I the only one that thinks

    upper = { BLAH }
    \new Staff = "upper" \upper

is potentially confusing? I think it's too easy for a newbie to infer that the variable name and the context name need to match, which of course is not true. If I were re-coding the A.2.1 template (at least, with an eye to fix that particular problem), I would write

     upperNotes = \relative c'' {
       \clef treble
       \key c \major
       \time 4/4

       a4 b c d
     }

     lowerNotes = \relative c {
       \clef bass
       \key c \major
       \time 4/4

       a2 c
     }

     \score {
       \new PianoStaff = "PianoStaff_piano"
        <<
         \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Piano  "
         \new Staff = "Staff_piano_upper" \upperNotes
         \new Staff = "Staff_piano_lower" \lowerNotes

       \layout { }
     }

Maybe it's too verbose for the examples... but it would be nice (IMO) to have something — even a note in the text — to make it clear that the names don't need to match.

Also, I'm not sure that it's good practice to have spaces in the instrumentName: this is just lazy programming, and may lead to problems later (e.g., when they decide to center-align the names).

Finally:
1. Modern practice for vocal music engraving is to ALWAYS beam eighth notes; and, 2. Including \autoBeamOff in these "simple" templates might be confusing.

Therefore, I think we should leave \autoBeamOff out of the mix, and either put a note to the effect of "for typesetting older vocal music, use \autoBeamOff" or (better yet, IMO) leave it for the vocal music section proper.

Cheers,
Kieren.