Re: doc work

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:58:12 +0200

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks

    upper = { BLAH }
    \new Staff = "upper" \upper

is potentially confusing?
Definitely! Please change. I once get an instruction for the local telephone exchange at the company where I worked, which said something like "If you for example take vacation until March 3, press *32*0303#" which was just as confusing.

Also, I'm not sure that it's good practice to have spaces in the instrumentName: this is just lazy programming, and may lead to problems later (e.g., when they decide to center-align the names).
Agreed!

Finally:
1. Modern practice for vocal music engraving is to ALWAYS beam eighth notes; and, 2. Including \autoBeamOff in these "simple" templates might be confusing.

Therefore, I think we should leave \autoBeamOff out of the mix, and either put a note to the effect of "for typesetting older vocal music, use \autoBeamOff" or (better yet, IMO) leave it for the vocal music section proper.
I would have to go home and look into my music engraving handbook to verify your claims. However, I know that several people on the mailing list have claimed that beaming often is used in vocal music to denote melismata. This is also what LilyPond does for all manually entered beams.

I hope you compare the templates with what the LM and NR (at least the sections that have been updated) have to say.

   /Mats