Re: doc work

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:53:11 -0400

Hi Mats,

I have never seen any question on the mailing list on how to turn the MIDI off

That's because I figured it out by myself...  ;-)

quite a number of questions on if it's possible to get MIDI output and how to do it.

My answer: "RT(F)M".  =)

If you have ever touched some other music typesetting program,
you will certainly be acquainted to the possibility of listening
to the output for proof "reading" and will expect to have the same in LilyPond.

Yes, but that's comparing apples and oranges: in Finale (e.g.), you don't have to *add* a line of code in order to make the MIDI work (or, alternatively, remove it in order to disable MIDI output).

Furthermore, there are *many* things about MIDI that are neither clear nor simple — witness the number of questions on the list about changing MIDI tempo, making dynamics work in multiple staves, etc. I think it would be "cleaner" to put MIDI all by itself in its own doc section: that way, if a user has gone to the trouble of getting MIDI output in the first place, they're already in place to learn about other MIDI features and tweaks without bothering the list.

Well, you decide!

I'll keep the thread open for a while, and then make a final decision based on the majority of responses I get.

Thanks!
Kieren.