Re: vcenter help

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: vcenter help
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:51:54 +0200

Am 15.08.2008 um 19:36 schrieb Neil Puttock:

2008/8/15 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:

Thanks, I think I've got a hang of it, (I was actually looking for
\hcenter), but now I have another question. Is there any situation where
\center-align and \hcenter are exclusive? Aside from \hcenter needing
\column, I couldn't find any difference.

They're completely unrelated; \hcenter doesn't `need' column, it's
used to align an object to its centre *relative* to another object.

Ah, okay, that makes sense.
The example for \hcenter in B.8.2 uses \column as a convenience to
show the alignment relative to the arrow.
When I try it without the column, they aren't centered (assuming I wanted to superimpose to markup objects on top of each other).

\markup {
\hcenter \column {
  { "One line of text." }
  { "Another line of text." }

This doesn't work, since \hcenter comes before \column; it has no
reference point to work with. If you swap them round, this behaves
just like \center-align.
Yes, I knew that, I just switched them as I was typing it.

And I think I've figured it out. \center-align aligns all object along the center axis. \hcenter aligns an objects center axis to the left axis of the reference point.
\markup {
  \column {
    one
    \hcenter
    two
    three

Can I suggest this (or something similar) be the example for B.8.2? It expresses very clearly, using terms from a previous example exactly how \hcenter differs from \center-align.