Re: doc work

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: Re: doc work
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:40:51 -0600

Kierin,
I just looked at that template and noticed that the first example on the page A.3.1 gives a template for a score where everything is in one file. The second example shows how to do things with multiple files (as you said A.3.2). Although this might seem to some a bit instructive as well as a template, is this not useful? As one attempts more complex projects with Lilypond (which a string quartet would be), I have found it useful to have templates that illustrate better ways of managing a larger project, especially one that would require a score and parts output. Lets face it, just about any Lilypond score (even quite large ones) can be done in a single file, but as the project becomes larger, breaking the project up into several files makes it easier to see what is going on. This example would illustrate how this could work. Seeing as section A.3 gives examples of both ways of working with Lilypond, would it not be useful to keep both? If not would it not be useful to illustrate this more advanced way of organizing larger projects in some other part of one of the manuals? I write this without having searched the Docs to see if this has already been done. I have always found that using templates as a starting point has been very useful, and have learned much by seeing how others have organized scores.

Walter Hofmeister