Re: combine chords, lyrics and melody - resending now that I've subscrib

From: David Bobroff
Subject: Re: combine chords, lyrics and melody - resending now that I've subscribed...
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:35:44 +0000

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question I think you probably can do what you're talking about. You may need to experiment a bit to get it to behave the way you want.

-David

ayryq wrote:
Is there any way to simply combine chords, lyrics, and melody sections into a
single LP "variable?" I am trying to create pop leadsheets and my score
sections look like this one:
%------------------------------
\score { <<
\new ChordNames { \transpose g g { \set chordChanges = ##t \override ChordName #'font-series =#'bold \override ChordName #'font-size = #1 \chorusharmonies
                                \verseharmonies
                                \chorusharmonies \postchorusharmonies
                                \bridgeharmonies
                                \chorusharmonies
                                \postchorusharmonies
                }}

       \new Voice = "melody" \relative c' { \transpose g g {
           \clef treble \key g \major \time 4/4
                        \chorusmelody
                                \new Voice = "verse" \repeat volta 2
{\versemelody \chorusmelody
\postchorusmelody}
                        \bridgemelody
                        \repeat volta 3 {\mark \markup {\smaller \italic \bold
{Chorus (3X)}}
\chorusmelody}
                        \postchorusmelody \bar "|."
                 }}
       \new Lyrics = "mainlyrics" \lyricsto melody {
\chorustext %verseonetext/versetwotext chorustext postchorustext
                 \bridgetext
                 \chorustext
                 \postchorustext}
       \context Lyrics = "mainlyrics" \lyricsto verse {
        \verseonetext \chorustext \postchorustext}
       \new Lyrics = "repeatlyrics" \lyricsto verse {
        \versetwotext}

The form is simple, but it is repeated three times for harmony, melody, and
lyrics. It would be nice to be able to say chorus=<<\chorusharmonies
\chorusmelody \chorustext >> and then just refer to \chorus in the score
block. Is this possible?