Re: combine chords, lyrics and melody - resending now that I've subscrib

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: combine chords, lyrics and melody - resending now that I've subscribed...
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:20:02 +0000 (UTC)

Patrick Horgan <phorgan1 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ayryq wrote:
>
> I believe you can, I was going to clip your stuff, build it on my
> machine, and build an example for you, but this example won't actually
> build on my machine.  Just as a hint, in the work I did for O Magnum
> Mysterium, I combined several thing like this:
>
> > The form is simple, but it is repeated three times for harmony, melody, and
> > lyrics. It would be nice to be able to say chorus=<<\chorusharmonies
> > \chorusmelody \chorustext >> and then just refer to \chorus in the score
> > block. Is this possible?

I've not been able to get it to work exactly the way you asked for it, but
here's my attempt to simplify the score.

Instead of making a set of simultaneous music expressions that are then
glued together sequentially (which causes problems in keeping staffs and
voices alive),  I've made a set of sequential music expressions that are
then glued together simultaneously.

%%%%%%%%
\version "2.11.55"
\include "predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly"

% define the Verse elements
verseChords = \chordmode {c1 d}
verseMelody = \context Voice {
  \relative c' {
     c4 d e f
     g4 a b c
verseLyrics = \lyricmode {
  One two three four
  Five six seven eight
}

% define the Chorus elements
chorusChords = \chordmode {g1 c}
chorusMelody = \context Voice {
  \relative c' {
     c'4 b a g
     f e d c
chorusLyrics = \lyricmode {
  A B C D
  E F G H
}

%define the total song elements
totalChords = { \verseChords \chorusChords}
totalMelody = { \verseMelody \chorusMelody }
totalLyrics = { \verseLyrics \chorusLyrics }

% put the music together
<<
   \new ChordNames { \totalChords }
   \new FretBoards { \totalChords }