Re: Second review of NR 2.7 Chords

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Second review of NR 2.7 Chords
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:06:43 +0100

2008/8/16 Carl D. Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> I really hesitate to say anything here, because I'm a real novice at music.
> However, I think that the chord is a first inversion Gm chord, rather than a
> first inversion G chord, due to the key signature (feel free to correct me
> if I'm wrong).

Sorry, that's slightly careless of me; I meant G minor.  I'm more used
to using roman numerals for chords, so I was thinking of the second
bar as a classic II - V - I cadence.

> In guitar accompaniments for music, it's not uncommon for chords that have
> very short durations to be left out, and replaced with the chord that it
> will resolve to.

Fair enough. I'm not really that familar with guitar accompaniments;
since I tend to approach it from a classical perspective, my
experience of using chords is related more to harmonic analysis.

> Do you think I should add the Gm for the first beat, then the C for the
> second?

I think it's OK to leave it as it is, since you've explained the
rationale behind having simple chords as an accompaniment.

Regards,
Neil