Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Proposed syntax change: renaming of \center-align markup command
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:21:08 +0200

Neil Puttock wrote:

2008/8/16 James E. Bailey <address@hidden>:

I think the names for the commands are great, but I'm still confused.

\hcenter and \column and duplicates of \center-align and \left-column
(currently \center-align and \left-align)? Umm, really?

Hmm, perhaps that was badly worded. :)

To clarify, the current situation is as follows:

Commands for horizontal alignment: \left-align, \hcenter, \right-align
Commands for vertical stacking: \column, \center-align

I'm suggesting the following changes:

- change the current behaviour of \center-align to match \hcenter;
keep \hcenter for backwards compatibility, or remove it

- rename \column -> \left-column, or keep \column for backwards
compatibility *and* create a duplicate called \left-column

- create a command for a right-aligned column: \right-column

Clear as mud? ;)
In your previous email you talked about "vertical alignment" for
\left-column, \center-column, \right-column, which clearly was wrong.
Note that all the six commands determine the horizontal alignment.
The difference between the two groups of commands is that
- \left-align, \center-align, \right-align specify the horizontal alignment
 point of a single markup
whereas
- \left-column, \center-column, \right-column create a column of markups
 that all are left, center or right aligned, respectively.

For vertical alignment, we only have the vcenter command predefined,
whereas the only support to get bottom or top alignment is to use|
|\general-align.

   /Mats