\shiftOn doesen't behave as expected

From: notesetter
Subject: \shiftOn doesen't behave as expected
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 20:13:21 -0700 (PDT)

I'm typing some guitar music with version 2.10.33 to teach myself how to use
LilyPond. I'm using the command \shiftOn to move inner voices so that they
are clear and not colliding with other voices. I'm also typing the upper
voice and lower voice separately, in hopes to avoid extra typing and overly
complex use of syntax.

My problem is, sometimes \shiftOn moves the inner voice to the left, and
sometimes to the right. See the attached .ly file:

In the first bar, using \shiftOn on the downstem C in the upper voice causes
both the upstem portion of voice one, and the downstem lower voice to shift
to the right. In the second bar, using \shiftOn only on the lower voice
moves it to the left (instead of the right like I would expect) and leaves
all of the upper voice unchanged (also what I'd expect). In the third bar,
using \shiftOn on the upstem E on the upper voice also moves the lower voice
to the left. What I want, is for the lower voice to move slightly to the
right, while both directions of the upper voice keep the default horizontal
alignment.

In the second line, \shiftOn does what I want it to, and avoids note column
collisions between voices. What's the difference?

Thanks,

Dave http://www.nabble.com/file/p18992493/snippet1.ly snippet1.ly

-----
David Stocker