Re: it's all up to you users

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: it's all up to you users
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:31:24 -0700

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:24:58 -0300
Hugo Ribeiro <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Graham Percival skrev:
> >> I haven't been a doc writer for a year; I'm a doc manager.  And
> >> today I'm doing nothing but giving my thesis presentation every
> >> hour in preparation for tomorrow's defense, which gives me 30-40
>
> Tell us a litlle about your thesis...

Full version:
http://web.uvic.ca/~gperciva/meaws/download.html
(bottom of the page)

Abstract:

Learning to play a musical instrument is a daunting task.
Musicians must execute unusual physical movements within very
tight tolerances, and must continually adjust their bodies in
response to auditory feedback.  However, most beginners lack the
ability to accurately evaluate their own sound.  We therefore turn
to computers to analyze the student's performance.  By extracting
certain information from the audio, computers can provide accurate
and objective feedback to students.

This thesis lays out some general principles for such projects,
and introduces tools to help practicing rhythms and violin
intonation.  There are three distinct portions to this research:
automatic exercise creation, audio analysis, and visualization of
errors.  Exercises were created with Constraint Satisfaction
Programming, audio analysis was performed with amplitude and pitch
detection, and errors were displayed with a novel graphical
interface.  This led to the creation of MEAWS, an open-source
program for music students.

Cheers,
- Graham