Re: ubuntu package

From: Andrew Wilson
Subject: Re: ubuntu package
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:04:21 +0100

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 01:51:50AM -0400, David Stocker wrote:
> What I want to do is install the latest version of LilyPond, but I'm
> unsure how or if I should remove LilyPond 2.10.33. Since I like LilyPond
> so much (despite my lack of knowledge concerning markup languages and
> programming), I'd prefer to avoid fouling up the installation of the new
> version.

ubuntu is basically a rebranded debian.  On debian you would

apt-get remove lilypond

to remove lilypond but leave any config files, or

apt-get purge lilypond

to remove all trace of the lilypond package from your system

Before you do that, you might want to check exactly which parts of
lilypond are installed on your system, try

dpkg-query -l *lilypond*

it should tell you how many packages in ubuntu are related to lilypond
and whether you have them installed.  You should read the manual for
dpkg, it will explain what the states in the output format mean.

man dpkg

HTH

andrew