Re: ubuntu package

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: ubuntu package
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 06:55:44 -0500

David,

There's an uninstall script that's included with every installation of lilypond. Since Ubuntu Studio comes with it already installed, you would not have seen the message that appears upon installation showing you how to uninstall. I think it *is* important to uninstall the old one. If, after using the development branch you decide you'd rather use the stable version, you can easily revert. I just uninstalled my copy of lilypond so I could copy the terminal info for you to see. Then I'll install it again :)

First, type the command for uninstall. It'll ask you to press enter to proceed.

address@hidden:~$ sudo /usr/local//bin/uninstall-lilypond
[sudo] password for jon:
About to remove a lilypond installation from /usr/local/lilypond
Press ^C to abort, Enter to proceed

Ok it's now allegedly uninstalled, but I want to be sure so I type "lilypond" and it says "command not found" meaning it's uninstalled.

address@hidden:~$ lilypond
The program 'lilypond' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install lilypond
bash: lilypond: command not found
address@hidden:~$ lilypond

Now, to install the new version, download the install script (http://lilypond.org/web/install/) to your desktop and run the following. Keep in mind that you can tab-complete the lilypond script filename to avoid mistakes, so if you just type "sudo sh lil[tab] it should complete the rest of the name for you (unless you have a bunch of other stuff on the desktop starting with "lil").

cd ~/Desktop
address@hidden:~/Desktop$ sudo sh lilypond-2.11.56-1.linux-x86.sh

LilyPond installer for version 2.11.56 release 1.
Use --help for help

You're about to install lilypond in /usr/local/lilypond/
A script in /usr/local/bin/ will be created as a shortcut.

Press ^C to abort, or Enter to proceed

Making /usr/local/lilypond/
Creating script /usr/local/bin/lilypond
Creating script /usr/local/bin/lilypond-wrapper.python
Creating script /usr/local/bin/lilypond-wrapper.guile
Creating script /usr/local/bin/uninstall-lilypond
Untarring lilypond-2.11.56-1.linux-x86.sh
To uninstall lilypond, run

    /usr/local//bin/uninstall-lilypond

For license and warranty information, consult

    /usr/local/lilypond/license/README

Copy this last bit to a text file and save it somewhere b/c it's easy to forget how to run the uninstall script. Now to be sure it's really installed I type lilypond --version to get the version info. If it appears, then the installation was successful:

address@hidden:~/Desktop$ lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.11.56

Copyright (c) 1996--2007 by
  Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
  Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>
  and others.

This program is free software.  It is covered by the GNU General Public
License and you are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it
under certain conditions.  Invoke as `lilypond --warranty' for more
information.

address@hidden:~/Desktop$

Good luck with your migration from Windows!

Jon

David Stocker wrote:
I think I'll give this a try. What I'm most concerned about is this: Someone has prepared a flavor of Ubuntu (Ubuntu Studio) with all kinds of audio/video/graphics applications pre-installed and integrated with the OS, thus sparing me the need to download and learn to configure most of the programs I foresee using in the near future. Amongst the programs this individual or group of individuals has thought to include is LilyPond 2.10.33. Thus, I have been allowed to become lazy about learning how to install programs on the GNU/Linux platform (keep in mind, I'm a recovering Windows user).

What I want to do is install the latest version of LilyPond, but I'm unsure how or if I should remove LilyPond 2.10.33. Since I like LilyPond so much (despite my lack of knowledge concerning markup languages and programming), I'd prefer to avoid fouling up the installation of the new version.

How do I go about removing 2.10.33 (if that's even necessary) before installing the latest development version. Path$ and Directorie$ are new to me because ever since I have used a computer, I have never had to deal with such weighty decisions (BTW, if anyone knows of an online "self-help" or "twelve-step prgram"-type resource to help recovering Windows users learn how to install programs in GNU/Linux, please pass them along--I'm not really 'lazy,' I just want to avoid messing things up).

Suffice it to say that I proceed with caution in areas like this. Because of my limited knowledge, I want to make sure that I'm making no assumptions.

Thanks in advance for any insight imparted here,

Dave

Paul Scott wrote:
notesetter wrote:
Is there an Ubuntu package for LilyPond? Suppose I'm using LilyPond 2.10.33 and want to upgrade to the latest (development) branch. Is there a "software
source" I can type in and then have the latest version downloaded and
installed via synaptic?
The GUB's on this page are trivial to install on any LInux system: http://lilypond.org/web/install/#2.11

I run them on Debian which as you know is the base for Ubuntu.

Paul Scott