Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: ver. 2.11.56 problems
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:16:01 -0700

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 07:50:54PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 19. August 2008 schrieb Patrick McCarty:
> >
> > I have tried adding these lines to ~/.bashrc in the past, too, but it
> > hasn't worked for me.  Instead I put this is my ~/.bash_profile
>
> The login sequence for login shells and normal shells is a bit different:
> At login ~/.bash_profile is sourced (i.e. executed), but not ~/.bashrc...
> That's the reason why e.g. Debian's default ~/.bash_profile contains:
>
> if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
>     source ~/.bashrc
> fi
>
> This will also execute the .bashrc during login and you can savely place your
> customization into .bashrc (which will be executed for every
> shell, .bash_profile will not in general..).

Oh, I see.  I have not done this for a while.  :-)  Though on my
system (Arch Linux), ~/.bash_profile has

. $HOME/.bashrc

which I believe does the same thing.

> > PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
> > and it works for me (after logging out and logging back in).
>
> I would rather do
>        export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
> which makes the shell look in ~/bin before it looks in default locations
> like /usr/bin or /bin... Otherwise you'll automatically run the lilypond
> version from /usr/bin/ and not your self-compiled version.

I did not consider this, since I just have a self-compiled version
installed.  If I did have two LilyPond binaries on my system, is there
an easy shell shortcut to specify the system-wide binary instead?
That is, instead of using the full path `/usr/bin/lilypond file.ly`  ?
I'm very curious.

Thanks,
Patrick