lilypond-book with html: "Output would overwrite input file" error

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: lilypond-book with html: "Output would overwrite input file" error
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:08:22 -0500

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand exactly how lilypond-book works with html source files. I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 with 2.11.56.

As suggested in the manual, I've specifed an output directory ( --output=DIR). So let's say my source file is ~/Documents/Composition/Piano/filename.html

and my output directory is

~/Documents/Composition/Piano/Book

What I've found is that the first invocation of lilypond-book on the source html file works fine, but the next time I run it after making changes to the sourcefile, I get an error saying "lilypond-book: error: Output would overwrite input file; use --output."

What I've deduced from this is that lilypond-book must first make a copy of my source file and put it in the output directory, then use that as the input file. Is this correct? Because when I remove the html file from the output directory and run lilypond-book on filename.html (in the directory above the output directory), it runs its course and creates the desired output. My question is this: shouldn't the "input file" really be the one that's NOT in the output directory? In other words, why doesn't lilypond-book take the command-line argument as the input file instead of the html file that it has copied (apparently) to the output directory?

I've made a workaround to the problem by adding a line to my lilybook script saying first to remove the html file from the output directory, but it seems to me that the program should use the argument of the lilypond-book command as the input file and overwrite the html file inside the output directory instead of returning errors saying that output would overwrite the input file.

Can anyone offer insight? This sort of thing never happens when I'm using lilypond-book on the .itely for the GDP. Is it a bug, or is it designed this way to avoid deleting files inadvertently?

Best,

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Kulp